A Job Description Survey (JDS) Study is based on the results of a survey regarding the position and is typically answered by managers and/or top performing job incumbents who are familiar with the position. The Job Description Survey consists of 30 to 52 multiple choice questions (depending on the scope of the position). You must have a Position created before you can send JDS invitations. Once the JDS invitations have come back complete, the benchmark needs to be built and then activated before it can be used.
The following guide will show you how to allow self-registration when creating a position using Job Description Study (JDS). Setting up a JDS Study for self-registration may be used if you do not have the necessary information to invite the candidates through the ‘Quick Add’ bar in the JDS Study tab.
STEP 1: Access the Position or Create a New Position
Hover over the <Positions> menu title and then click <Position List>. Click on the magnifying glass icon beside the position to access the Position Details.
If you are sending out a JDS invitation for a new Position, please follow the steps in the guide – How to Create a Position before moving on to Step 3 in this guide.
STEP 2: Accessing the JDS Study Tab
Click on the ‘JDS Study’ tab within Positions Details.
STEP 3: Customizing the JDS Invitation and Status Email (Optional)
Prior to adding a new participant to the JDS Study through the ‘Quick Add’ bar, you may want to customize the JDS Invitation Email and/or edit the settings for the Status Email. If you do not need to customize or adjust these settings, please skip to Step 5.
To customize the invitation & status email, ensure that you are first on the ‘JDS Study’ tab within Position Details.
- Click on <Edit Settings> located next to the <Add Participants> button in the center of the page.
Note: The system defaults to automatically send the Invitation email when candidates are added to the JDS study. The Status emails are also set to go out automatically when a JDS participant completes the survey.
- To customize either the Invitation or Status email, click on <View Email> and follow the following steps:
- Click ‘Customize’ at the top to change the default settings to be select/change the recipient of the JDS invitation email:
- Send To Activity Owner – sends survey email to owner of a specific Activity.
- Send To Candidate – sends survey email to the participant of the JDS.
- Send To Candidate Owner – sends survey to the person sending the JDS invitation email.
- If the recipient is not a login in PrevueOnline.com, type in the email address(es) in the ‘To:’ field below (separate multiple addresses with a semicolon).
- Select the ‘From’ Address: You can change the ‘From’ address to the system standard address (email@example.com). Leaving the ‘From’ set to Send from Activity Owner, will still send the email from firstname.lastname@example.org, but if the candidate responds then they will reply to the Position Owner’s email address.
- Click ‘Customize’ in the middle of the page to edit the ‘Subject’ or body of the email (Note: starcodes may be used in these fields).
- Save the Email: To save the changes you made, click on <Save & Close>.
- Click <OK> to return to the JDS Study main tab.
STEP 4: Click on ‘Get Info’
Once a position is created, the system will generate a self-registration Username and Password. This generic login information can be used by as many JDS Participants as are required to create the JDS Benchmark.
Clicking on <Get Info> will display a pop-up box containing the self-registration information. You may copy and paste this information into a customized email which will be sent to each participant, or into a document outlining instructions to the participants.
STEP 5: Waiting for the JDS to be Completed
If the participant has a P next to his/her name, then the participant must still complete the JDS. At this stage, you will need to wait for the JDS participants to complete the study.
Note: If a participant has self-registered for the JDS and has not completed it, the Completed column will be blank. Once they self-register with the generic details, the system will assign a unique Username and Password to the participant. By clicking on the magnifying glass to the right of their name, you will be able to access their Candidate Details and locate their unique Username and Password. You may forward this to the participant if they have self-registered but failed to complete the JDS in one sitting. The three key pieces of information that a participant needs in order to complete their survey are:
- URL (jds.assessmentstation.com)
STEP 6: Completed JDS
Once a Participant has completed the required JDS, the Completed column notation will change to ‘Yes’. A notepad icon will appear next to the magnifying glass. Clicking on the notepad icon will give you the participant’s JDS worksheet responses in PDF format.
Note: If your candidate list is lengthy, you can use the search functions located at the bottom of the screen. You can also use this function to export the Candidate List data to Excel.
Once all JDS participants have completed their surveys you will need to build and activate the new benchmark before it can be used. See How To Guide on How to Build and Activate a JDS Benchmark for next steps.